Follow Us

Tag Us!
#natureathome #calvertnaturally #calvertnaturesociety

Log in

All county government administrative offices are open to the public. County government employees and visitors will not be required to wear masks. Verify office locations and hours before visiting.


Kings Landing Park was the home of the Baltimore YMCA's Camp Mohawk summer camp facility for
African American inner-city youth circa 1950.

The cabins provides a wonderful opportunity to preserve this history and inform the community of the role of the camp within the region. This is a story that is not currently told in the County. This project would greatly increase our knowledge of the role Calvert County played in providing summer and outdoor recreation to
inner-city youth and the African American community.

The Baltimore YMCA acquired the property in 1946 from Goodman and Belle Goldstein. The YMCA ran summer camps for boys (and eventually girls) from circa 1950-1980.

The exact history of the YMCA is not documented in County records. In the future we hope  to research the YMCA archives to discover the full history of the camp.

In August 1984, the YMCA sold the property to the State of Maryland. In November 1984, Calvert County and the State entered into a lease over the property in order to provide swimming and other recreational opportunities for the public. In 1995, the lease was renewed for a 50-year term.

In 1990, a Master Plan for the Kings Landing Natural Management Area was developed cooperatively by the State and County. The cabins were identified as an important asset to the area for the environmental education programs of the park.

In the Southern Maryland Heritage Area's Five-Year Capital Project Program, Kings Landing Park was one of the locations identified for the construction of the overnight facilities.

Grants through the African American Heritage Preservation Program supported the rehabilitation of the cabins.

A grant from the Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium funded signs to interpret the YMCA cabins for park visitors. Click here for a pdf of the signs.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software